Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tabletop Simulator

hey there.  I was wondering if you had given some thought to doing a module for Tabletop Simulator on Steam, or some other VTT app.  I think it might really help get some exposure and then we (you) could use that to do some fun things like international tournaments, multiplayer campaigns, etc.  Just a thought.  You have done a great job with the product and it looks like the convention went well.  So now maybe think bigger!

(06-09-2017, 11:06 PM)darbymcd Wrote: hey there.  I was wondering if you had given some thought to doing a module for Tabletop Simulator on Steam, or some other VTT app.  I think it might really help get some exposure and then we (you) could use that to do some fun things like international tournaments, multiplayer campaigns, etc.  Just a thought.  You have done a great job with the product and it looks like the convention went well.  So now maybe think bigger!

Thanks vor the heads up. I had a look at the Tabletop Simulator on steam and it made a very good impression. Alas I must confess that I lack the programming skills to create a Bladestorm module for it. 

Since the RPC, I have started work on a German translation as that would allow me to do more gaming locally. The available gaming tools seem pretty complete (spell and item cards would be interesting to look at, too) :-)

If you know anyone who would be up to the task and willing to dig into coding for the fun of it, please let me know.

Cheers,
Seb

(06-10-2017, 07:48 AM)DragonReborn Wrote:
(06-09-2017, 11:06 PM)darbymcd Wrote: hey there.  I was wondering if you had given some thought to doing a module for Tabletop Simulator on Steam, or some other VTT app.  I think it might really help get some exposure and then we (you) could use that to do some fun things like international tournaments, multiplayer campaigns, etc.  Just a thought.  You have done a great job with the product and it looks like the convention went well.  So now maybe think bigger!

Thanks vor the heads up. I had a look at the Tabletop Simulator on steam and it made a very good impression. Alas I must confess that I lack the programming skills to create a Bladestorm module for it. 

Since the RPC, I have started work on a German translation as that would allow me to do more gaming locally. The available gaming tools seem pretty complete (spell and item cards would be interesting to look at, too) :-)

If you know anyone who would be up to the task and willing to dig into coding for the fun of it, please let me know.

Cheers,
Seb

Let me look into it. It probably is not too complex because you don't really want it to do any rule enforcement, you want people to buy the rules after all.... but it would be good to do movement tracking.  Otherwise it is just a matter of importing the control sheets and having a way of marking off boxes, and rolling dice.  But It think there are lots of other mods for mini games that should cover that. Then the hard part is importing the visual stuff, terrain and minis. Again I think there are lots of mods for those things so as long as it isn't commercial it should be ok. I will poke around and see.

(06-11-2017, 04:43 PM)darbymcd Wrote:
(06-10-2017, 07:48 AM)DragonReborn Wrote:

Cheers,
Seb

Let me look into it. It probably is not too complex because you don't really want it to do any rule enforcement, you want people to buy the rules after all.... but it would be good to do movement tracking.  Otherwise it is just a matter of importing the control sheets and having a way of marking off boxes, and rolling dice.  But It think there are lots of other mods for mini games that should cover that. Then the hard part is importing the visual stuff, terrain and minis. Again I think there are lots of mods for those things so as long as it isn't commercial it should be ok. I will poke around and see.

Thanks a lot for checking into this. Let me know what you find out :-P

I have poked around with it a bit and really think it could be something interesting for you. It is basically the Unity engine, so a physics sim, that is skinned up for making tabletop games, mostly miniatures and other games with pieces to grab and move. It does not implement rules other than ones that have physical manifestation, so it does for example movement of pieces, dice rolling, maps, etc but doesn't have automatic results based on dice rolling. It is perfect for you in that way, it is a space to play but people still have to buy the rules.

There is a fairly active Warhammer community and you can use their terrains and figures, of which there are several very good ones. But of course if you wanted to make it an actual product you would need someone to do proprietary figs and maps. The company seems quite supportive and will work with you, if you have the art, to put together a downloadable content package which you can sell for money. Could be good exposure and drive some sales.  

Since I am also interested in the old-school hex and counter wargaming, I am also looking at Battlegrounds now, but I am not sure it has the potential from a business perspective as TTS. 

The term has started so I am swamped with teaching, but I am going to see if I can put together a short demo video of playing BS with TTS......

But I am also going back and thinking that something in Roll20 would be good. I did a little testing with it and it works well. The downside is that it is pretty much 2D. I actually don't mind it, but maybe not as good for the 'feel' of BSt.

(08-26-2017, 06:16 PM)darbymcd Wrote: I have poked around with it a bit and really think it could be something interesting for you. It is basically the Unity engine, so a physics sim, that is skinned up for making tabletop games, mostly miniatures and other games with pieces to grab and move. It does not implement rules other than ones that have physical manifestation, so it does for example movement of pieces, dice rolling, maps, etc but doesn't have automatic results based on dice rolling. It is perfect for you in that way, it is a space to play but people still have to buy the rules.

There is a fairly active Warhammer community and you can use their terrains and figures, of which there are several very good ones. But of course if you wanted to make it an actual product you would need someone to do proprietary figs and maps. The company seems quite supportive and will work with you, if you have the art, to put together a downloadable content package which you can sell for money. Could be good exposure and drive some sales.  

Since I am also interested in the old-school hex and counter wargaming, I am also looking at Battlegrounds now, but I am not sure it has the potential from a business perspective as TTS. 

The term has started so I am swamped with teaching, but I am going to see if I can put together a short demo video of playing BS with TTS......

But I am also going back and thinking that something in Roll20 would be good. I did a little testing with it and it works well. The downside is that it is pretty much 2D. I actually don't mind it, but maybe not as good for the 'feel' of BSt.

Thanks for checking that out! I really don't think that we need special figure models created for Bladestorm, same goes for the terrain. The initial Bladestorm miniatures line was trying to go with the sourcebook factions but the figures were not convincing at all. Plus, we moved single player characters by any miniature company into the focus of Second Edition. However, if we could reuse the WHF terrain (basically any open terrain or dungeon setup) my guess is that this could work. 

Hey, if you'd like we could setup a game just for the heck of it between you and me. I'm interested in trying it out  Cool .

Best,
Sebastian

I probably wasn't clear. You would need virtual models for terrain and figs to use in the program, you play the game online like a computer game. I think it should be possible to scan and use existing models through 3D printing applications and then through maybe Blender or something, but that is way above my pay grade. That is assuming you would want a commercial package, meaning you couldn't use some other producers graphics without some agreement. But there are lots of people making graphic sets for games, esp WH so it might be possible to work something out with someone.

I understand that playing online is not as satisfying as playing on the table for sure, but for people like me, living in exile way from gamers or people who don't have groups near them, it is a great option.

Let me show you something that I have done on roll20, give me a couple days.

(09-02-2017, 06:36 PM)darbymcd Wrote: I probably wasn't clear. You would need virtual models for terrain and figs to use in the program, you play the game online like a computer game. I think it should be possible to scan and use existing models through 3D printing applications and then through maybe Blender or something, but that is way above my pay grade. That is assuming you would want a commercial package, meaning you couldn't use some other producers graphics without some agreement. But there are lots of people making graphic sets for games, esp WH so it might be possible to work something out with someone.

I understand that playing online is not as satisfying as playing on the table for sure, but for people like me, living in exile way from gamers or people who don't have groups near them, it is a great option.

Let me show you something that I have done on roll20, give me a couple days.

That would be terrific! Just let me know whenever you're ready.

Thanks