Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summoning Animal/Undead/Demon/Elemental caster TPC costs.

Hello,

I have been working on building spell casters for our game this weekend.  I am having difficulty understanding how summoned combatants work with TPC.

How do I calculate the point cost of a caster that can summon something to fight on his behalf?  Such as a magician that brings in an elemental?  It doesn't seem logical to me that I would just pay for the spell and power points in the caster TPC, since there an additional unit shows up to fight.

I have some more questions to ask about TPC for summoning, but I want to understand this first.

Thanks.

(02-21-2017, 05:15 AM)zorper Wrote: Hello,

I have been working on building spell casters for our game this weekend.  I am having difficulty understanding how summoned combatants work with TPC.

How do I calculate the point cost of a caster that can summon something to fight on his behalf?  Such as a magician that brings in an elemental?  It doesn't seem logical to me that I would just pay for the spell and power points in the caster TPC, since there an additional unit shows up to fight.

I have some more questions to ask about TPC for summoning, but I want to understand this first.

Thanks.

Hey there,

it is correct that spell casters expend power points to summon creatures, undead, elementals, in short: new combatants to the table. The TPC of the spell caster is only affected by the number of power points and the spells he can cast. Thus, summoning a creature does not take TPC away from the caster. He does not cut the creature out of his own flesh. He merely uses his daily allotment of power points to bring it into battle. 

As summoned creatures are not present at the start of the battle, they cannot count towards the point limit that players agree upon. Even though you plan on bringing a huge demon into play, the summoning spell user may have an "accident" (such as a fumbled maneuver) and is incapacitated. 

The TPC of summoned creatures is calculated like a normal combatant. To save time, you can use any of the premade creatures, undead and elementals found in the Appendix chapters. When preparing a game though, you can create your custom creature and make a card for it. 

Best,
Sebastian

Thanks.

Let me make sure I understand how the Bladestorm summoning limitations are designed.

For example, I have a caster to whom I have given the Summon Elemental spell.  This spell is going to allow a ~350 TPC character to bring in another ~350 TPC combatant as an ally.  The limitations for the caster are, 1)  I have to spend the TPC to give the caster the level 2 spell for Summon,  2)  I have to give the caster the TPC for 2 or more power points,  3)  The elemental does not enter the fight until 2 turns after casting the Summon spell, 4)  The caster can fumble while casting the Summon spell which will either delay the spell or take the caster out of action.

So from a game design point of view, these limitations balance out the ability to bring new combatants into the battle.  I think that I am okay with that.  We'll play a few games and I'll let you know what happens.