Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixed Dice Damage question

Hello, me again,

Section S-8.2:

"Fixed Dice Damage — The number of hits that a target takes is equal to the result of one of the dice already rolled. If more than one die of the type indicated have been rolled, the highest one is used. In a similar manner, more than one die may be specifi ed.

Example: An attack roll of "3D6+1D10+3" results in die results of 6, 4, 1, and 9 (for the 10-sided die). "1D10" damage from such an attack would be 9 hits. "2D6" damage from such an attack would be 10 = 6 + 4 (i.e., the highest two 6-siders)."

Can you explain how the example relates to "Fixed Dice Damage"?  I think that I am missing the point, as it looks like this is talking about High Damage with multiple dice types.  Thanks.

(02-16-2017, 05:52 AM)zorper Wrote: Hello, me again,

Section S-8.2:

"Fixed Dice Damage — The number of hits that a target takes is equal to the result of one of the dice already rolled. If more than one die of the type indicated have been rolled, the highest one is used. In a similar manner, more than one die may be specifi ed.

Example: An attack roll of "3D6+1D10+3" results in die results of 6, 4, 1, and 9 (for the 10-sided die). "1D10" damage from such an attack would be 9 hits. "2D6" damage from such an attack would be 10 = 6 + 4 (i.e., the highest two 6-siders)."

Can you explain how the example relates to "Fixed Dice Damage"?  I think that I am missing the point, as it looks like this is talking about High Damage with multiple dice types.  Thanks.

Actually, you're spot on. 

In short: The "Fixed Dice Damage" allows more damage variations with the same attack dice. When going for High or Low damage, you simply go for the highest or lowest of the bunch. If you specify the die type, you can create an attack that has a large chance to hit with a much lower chance to cause actual damage. 

For example: A "1D6+5D10" Attack and "1D6" Damage would only allow the number rolled on the D6 to count as actual damage. However, the attack is really likely to hit even a very large beast. 

Fixed Dice Damage:
=> Further specifies damage dealt on attacks with several dice types
=> Allows to differ between chance to hit and the amount of damage dealt

Thanks and makes sense.  I might suggest in a future revision of the rules that this be called "Specific Dice Damage," as the word 'fixed' seems to indicate a constant value.

(02-16-2017, 06:00 PM)zorper Wrote: Thanks and makes sense.  I might suggest in a future revision of the rules that this be called "Specific Dice Damage," as the word 'fixed' seems to indicate a constant value.

Hi there,

yes, I like the idea. I will keep this in mind when we're moving forward with the next update. 

Cheers,
Sebastian