Forums
Retcon - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.bladestorm.mx/forum)
+-- Forum: Bladestorm (http://www.bladestorm.mx/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Continent of Folenn (http://www.bladestorm.mx/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Retcon (/showthread.php?tid=6)

Retcon - darbymcd - 10-12-2016

Do you have a vision for some changes to Folenn?  Mostly, I f'ing hate BladeStorms.  They were put in by the ICE people, I believe, to justify skirmish battles as the norm in the setting, pretty much the same as the Brood in SD.  But I don't see it as necessary.  Do you see further development of the setting, maybe some campaign/scenario collections, or maybe some equivalent of the adventure path idea in Paizo, but for BS!

RE: Retcon - DragonReborn - 10-12-2016

(10-12-2016, 04:32 PM)darbymcd Wrote: Do you have a vision for some changes to Folenn?  Mostly, I f'ing hate BladeStorms.  They were put in by the ICE people, I believe, to justify skirmish battles as the norm in the setting, pretty much the same as the Brood in SD.  But I don't see it as necessary.  Do you see further development of the setting, maybe some campaign/scenario collections, or maybe some equivalent of the adventure path idea in Paizo, but for BS!

Like it or not, the Bladestorms are very much an integral part of Folenn. I believe just doing away with them would not do the spirit of the game justice. They gave the game it's name and they are canon throughout all Shadow World Master Atlases ever put out by Terry K. Amthor. If they were his idea or not, I cannot tell. That they do play a role for Folenn, I can. 

And that role has changed a little bit already. In the new Campaign Scenarios of BS2E, Bladestorms are actually a source for fallen treasures and artifacts from battles long gone. These treasures - in part dating back to the Soul Slayer Armies - can be anything from a candle stick to a mighty sword of ogre decapitation (aka slaying weapon). Word has spread throughout Folenn and beyond to Jaiman and Emer and has treasure hunters and mavericks come to the wild continent in search of these mighty artifacts. 

There are ten new scenarios that explore locations up and down the western coast, where adventure parties can fight over these treasures. And there are some really tricky situations in the waiting. 

While Bladestorms are a fact of the game, I totally agree with you that they are - just by themselves - not that much fun. Once they appear, they will still end the battle, but the rules for different storm types and especially the magic spells that summon them, were dropped from the book. Got a Bladestorm incoming? Better get your party out of there.

Writing the included scenarios also showed me how many rich ideas were part of the original box set. The scenario book gives tons of hooks for all kinds of developments. So yes, I can definitely see a campaign or an adventure path in the future. The new profession system and the possibility to improve combatants based on experience has the game going into an entirely new direction.

RE: Retcon - HisMastersVoice - 10-19-2016

I think Bladestorms were mostly introduced as a tool to limit combat time. Some kind of ingame deus-ex-machina round counter. 

I don't like them either. But hey, it's your game and you're free to skip them anyway!

RE: Retcon - Karelian Suomi - 03-30-2018

Deus Ex Machina is to be found in any game; playbalance vs. reality. The Bladestorms serve their purpose, but as Callsign: HisMastersVoice stated, when you play the game, it *is* *your* game, so you get to mess with it to your heart's content!

For my part, I'm slowly gathering figures for an historical skirmish using the Baldestorm! rules. The ancient Pre-Columbian peoples of the Valley of Mexico engaged in ritual warfare known as Flower Wars. The purpose was to capture enemy warriors for sacrifice, as well as provide a showcase for warriors of renown to strut their stuff, or for neophytes to try and see if they can up their reputation and their rank by bringing in a captive or three (or at least, manage to gain some experience whil not winding up as food for the other city's gods!).